Saturday, January 20, 2007

Regulated Spanking?

California wants spanking to be punishable under law. As a parent I have decided spanking is not for me; however, I do notice that when I loose my patience the hand is a bit more active. Typically a little 'reminder' will do; however, do I want the state telling me I can't do so? The law will "proposes to make spanking, hitting or slapping a child under 4 years old a misdemeanor." This is tough--yes we need to reduce abuse in our homes, but I don't want the police called if I smack by daughter on the rear. I would also think abuse situations would happen indoors making detection difficult.

I think I would have a few hundred dollars in fines. Sorry Dustin, if this law passes I don't think I could afford to live in California.

I expect lots of comments on this one. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh boy... As a parent, I have chosen to "spank" on occasion. I don't do it with the intention of hurting Logan, just to get her full attention. I don't see it as abuse at all. If anything, the law should be for ages 4+.. before that most of them are wearing diapers and the "spank" doesn't hurt. I do understand that there are some people out there that can't control their rage, but let's not get into who should and who shouldn't be parents.

nAnnie Laurie said...

well....As a 'retired' parent of young children, I probably used spanking more than was necessary, and absolutely more than was effective. As a matter of fact, by the time my last came around, I hardly used it at all - she didn't care!!!...and all it did was make me feel guilty, anyway. But, I still think there is a correct time to use it - like when there is danger involved and the child is not listening. OK - off my soapbox on that subject.. Now, Carlos (and anyone else interested) I just found a very interesting blog that you may not know about -- http://blogs.ldsfiles.com/beardall - Mitt Romney is the current subject. Hope you enjoy!

Olivia Heilmann said...

AMEN!!

Olivia Heilmann said...

A misdemeanor for Spanking? GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I got to thinking about something... you want to live in California?? Um.. sorry California, you can't have my brother (or his family). I have a friend that commutes to California (from NC) and they live in the posh section of town.. that should tell you something.. it's cheaper to FLY across country and live in a $300 thousand dollar house than to live in California. If I had family there, I would consider it.. but alas, I don't.