Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gun Control

I don't own a gun. I wasn't around guns all that much as a kid--I got my gun experience in Scouts or other organized events. My dad did own a gun--a 22 as I remember and I shot it a couple of times. I am sure if you handed me a gun today I wouldn't know how to turn the safety off.
I think there should be more gun control in this country.
When I say gun control, I don't mean repealing the 2nd amendment--something conservatives and NRA types like to immediately puff their chests about--I mean gun control, better governance about who has guns and how they use them. There is one exception--automatic assault weapons. The name alone should be obvious to why the general public should not have them.
We need a registration similar to DMV with cars, something a gun owner has to renew every so often and report the sale or destruction (if that is possible). I would also like to see a required training class for anyone who purchases a gun. This class would include handling, storage, and stress saftey. You would get a card or certificate you could then use to buy a gun. And, just like with a car if you don't report a change (sold, not working, etc) you get fined.
Similar measures have been put in place in Canada, and while it hasn't put a dent in the homicide rate yet, it is a step in the right direction; taking control of a situation rather then doing nothing.
Another gun crime we don't talk much about is Suicide. The Candian embassy reports more gun related suicides were committed than homicides in 1996. Perhaps we should also be looking at mental health requirement for permits as well.

My view point may not solve the problem; however, I do know I am sick of hearing "they're trying to take away our guns". If your gun affects my public safety, I will choose safety every time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Crazy Dems..

Just kidding. I'm not in favor of guns, but I see where people, like my husband, come from when they want the right to own guns (NOT in my house mind you, but in general). I do agree there should be more regulations for them.... but to what end?

Anonymous said...

THE GOP AND THE NRA ARE IN BED WITH ONE ANOTHER, THEY DON'T WANT GUN CONTROL!!! THEIR NEEDS TO BE CONTROL OVER THE PEOPLE THAT
SHOULD NOT HAVE GUNS, HOW WILL THAT
WORK.... I'M NOT SURE! OUR ELECTED
OFFICALS NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO FINE AWAY SO THE CRAZYS DON'T HAVE GUNS! CONTROL THE KINDS OF GUNS WE CAN HAVE, A HUNTER DOESN'T NEED A GUN THAT CAN HOLD 50 TO A 100 ROUNDS! HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE ANY ONE MAD!
UNCLE ROB

Carlos Chacon said...

whoa, easy there--I wish I could deny that the GOP and the NRA had a little more distance. My man Mitt even bought a lifetime membership--how embarrassing. You could also point to the Dems and the unions--same cozy relationship.

We regulate until the level of gun violence--both self inflicted and against someone are lower than the risk of allowing people to own guns.