Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Third times a charm

Well, we all do things we wish we hadn't; things that we must bear a difficult consequence for and Friday night at the airport I did one of those things--I left my work laptop at the baggage claim of the Dulles Airport. I had the girls with me and Sarah had come to pick us up. I put my laptop by the carts you can rent to take your things to your car, our luggage came, the girls went crazy, I grabbed the luggage, we got several "they're so cute" comments, and we were out the door. It was not until Sunday evening that I realized my mistake. Oh the cruel reality of my mistake. I was sure I would never get it back; I started thinking of ways to explain to my boss what had happened.

After we had called airport security and they told us they did NOT have a bag matching the description I gave them, I decided it was worth at least investigating for myself. I drove up to Dulles airport at about 7:30PM. I did not have enough gas to get there so I had to fill up and who should notice that my car did not have an inspection sticker (I got rejected before we left for Costa Rica) on it but Henrico's finest, who quickly gave me a ticket and reminded me to 'take care of these things' before I leave the country next time. Yeah, got it.

My drive up to Dulles on Sunday was uneventful and to no ones' surprise I did not find my laptop. I tried calling security again to see if I could come and look at what they had; however, they had gone home for the night. I drove my dejected self home and managed to get in bed a little after 1:30 AM.

I had a personal experience that led me to believe I would see my laptop again, so I called the security desk on Monday morning before I went to work. I approached my description slightly different and the officer must have asked me to hold at least 4 times. After several attempts to find my bag, I almost hear the words "I'm sorry, we don't have a bag that matches that description"; however, my inner voice deceived me--the officer said, "Yes, we have your bag, when can you pick it up?" It was a feeling of pure exhilaration. I almost did not believe what he was saying, perhaps there was a mix up and there was some other bag they found; however, I arranged to pick it up after work--around 9pm. Emily agreed to go with me this time.

My mood was upbeat, but subdued as I made my second attempt. We arrived at the security desk and gave them the claim number given me earlier. "I'm sorry, that package was given to lost and found this morning. They are only open from 9-5, M-F". I almost slammed the glass window that separated us from the guard. Impossible!! They told me this morning they would have it. We even had her check the room just in case, but my bag was no longer there. Another 260 miles in vain.

Yesterday I called lost and found and they informed me I had to make an appointment if I wanted to 'obtain my item'. As luck--or the lack of--would have it I would up feeling poorly today. I usually work from home on Wednesdays and today was no different. Since I really wasn't feeling well, I called the lost and found and tried to see if I could get up there today and they agreed so I took a sick day and drove up there a third time to get the laptop. This time I took the girls with me, which they were really happy about, but I managed to get it. What a hassle; however, alls well that ends well.

Let me tell you I learned my lesson this time and I won't let it happen again.--next time I go somewhere, I'm flying Jet Blue. :)

Ok, now that my life is getting back to some kind of order, I will start working on my Costa Rica report.

2 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

Holly Cow! What a complete HASSLE!! I am glad that you 'retrieved your lost item' though. What a blessing!

nAnnie Laurie said...

So! happy that you found it - wen with all the hassle! Wow - cool :)